Liebster Award: Nomination by thelimitlessimagination
First of all thank you to thelimitlessimagination for nominating me for this award, you can see her Liebster award here. I was only just followed by her a few hours prior to being nominated. It’s always a good feeling when someone new follows my blog or when someone contacts me, so this was a pleasant surprise.
Well it’s been around two months since I originally did this and I’ve been nominated again, The second nomination was by Joe from The Reviewer’s Corner, he has done a few Liebster awards, you can see the particular one he nominated me from here.
I’ve decided that instead of creating a new post I’m just going to edit this one, which also gives me a chance to reword some of the things I’m not completely happy with. I’ll also change the font color for stuff from the more recent nomination so it is easier to differentiate between the two.
There are a few rules about the Liebster award, more information on it at the bottom of the post. I’ll start with the 11 questions given to me by thelimitlessimagination.
1. What is your definition of happiness?
I think happiness can manifest in many different ways for different people. For me though, I think that being able to freely enjoy spending time the way I want without any major worries or problems is important for happiness. Or maybe it is as simple as just being free of worries.
2. What is more important to you in an anime that you would call good: plot or characters? (assuming you can only pick one)
Characters – For me, this is an easy question. I love a good plot, but having good characters on top of that makes an anime so much better. If an anime has characters I like, as long as those characters keep getting screen time, I will generally still enjoy the show. On the other hand, a good plot can easily be ruined if the characters aren’t interesting or likable.
3. Favourite novel?
I don’t read much novels anymore. I used to read a lot of fantasy fiction back in my early teens, but these days I rarely find time to read. My answer is probably The Three Worlds Cycle by Ian Irvine, its a fantasy series of 2 quartets and a trilogy for a total of 11 books. I read them a long time ago so I’m not sure how they would live up to my memories of them if I were to reread them.
On a related note, I recently joined the Anitwitter Book Club that Draggle recently created. I’ll put a link here for anyone interested to join: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/anitwitter-book-club. You have to request to join the group by subscribing. As far as I know, the books we will be reading will cover a wide range, and we will read and discuss them over a month (or two?) time period.
4. Favourite drama or TV series?
I don’t watch many TV shows outside of anime, I think the only shows I have actually watched to completion or have kept up to date with are Doctor Who, Torchwood, Smallville and Game of Thrones. Other shows I have watched multiple seasons of are Stargate SG-1, House, Numb3rs, Heroes, and The Mentalist. (But I never ended up finishing any of them.)
I think I’m going to have to put my answer as Game of Thrones. It’s a hard decision but it’s something I really ended up enjoying. Plus I have more friends who have watched Game of Thrones than the other shows, so I can talk about it more. (Although a few of the other shows aren’t too far behind it.)
5. Favourite anime OP or ED?
I originally had the Steins;Gate anime opening here, but I’ve decided to change it. The 2nd opening form Fate/hollow ataraxia is currently my favourite. Here is a link: https://vimeo.com/119683638. (There is a slight spoiler for people who don’t know what happened in Heaven’s Feel, but nothing else should spoil anything for anyone.)
6. Favourite male and female seiyuu?
Hard to actually narrow it down to a favourite, there is so much talent in the industry. I’m going to go with Mamoru Miyano for male seiyuu, and Maaya Sakamoto for female seiyuu.
7. An interesting story/event about yourself?
I highly doubt any story about myself would be interesting, and I can’t think of anything in particular. If anything interesting were to come from me, I would hope it somehow shows itself through my writing. Maybe something in the 11 random facts about myself section will be interesting.
8. What Japanese custom/tradition/event would you like to try the most?
I’d like to do a shrine visit in Japan on new years day someday, I also would like to think I’ll be fluent in Japanese by then.
9. How important is writing to you?
Good writing is something I really respect. At the moment, I would like to work towards learning Japanese with the goal of becoming a translator in mind. Competent English writing skills are I think very important for translating, and I think my current writing skills will need lots of improvement before I can reach that goal.
10. Most beautifully drawn anime/manga character you have ever seen?
First character that comes to mind is Ryougi Shiki.
11. What kind of scenery do you love the most? (e.g. rivers, mountains, Aurora lights etc. best if you could also put a pic here! :D)
Pretty much anything with rain. I couldn’t find a good screenshot, but a good example would be those scenes in Kara no Kyoukai’s 2nd and 7th movies where it is raining in the bamboo forest.
Okay here are the new questions given to me by Joe.
1. What is one anime series that you would recommend to people, that you enjoy and think not a lot of people have seen? Also why.
Hard question. Most of the anime I have given high scores on MAL I think most people have seen already. I’ll go with either Gintama or Saki.
A lot of people seem to be put off by the length of Gintama. I’ll be the first to admit it has a poor start, but once it gets going, the lovable characters will have you hooked. If you don’t want to commit yourself to over 250 episodes, you could probably even watch the first few episodes of the new season to see if you like the humor.
Saki is pretty good. Even if you don’t know anything about mahjong it’s still a very good watch (at least for me anyway), you also will pick up on the rules as you watch the show. The story in the manga is still ongoing so I’ve been planning to get to that sometime, but my relationship with manga isn’t the best unfortunately.
2. Who is your favorite character? Can be in manga, anime, comics or anything. (Also say the show)
Caren from Fate/hollow ataraxia. This probably doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone considering my blog’s banner image, (although I probably should find a better quality image of her to use instead).
3. What is your favorite manga/comic/book/reading material?
Any good visual novel? manga and light novels are something that I do enjoy, but I find it hard to get into the mood to sit down and read. I think this is because audio stimulus really helps me with immersing myself with the story, so I find it much easier to sit down for hours watching anime or reading visual novels.
I haven’t played though nearly as much visual novels as I would like to, but if I have to narrow it down to just one, it would probably be the Fate/stay night visual novel. It isn’t perfect, but I did really enjoy it.
4. Who is your anime crush?
Hmm, this question really depends on your definition of ‘crush’. For me personally, there are many characters who I admire in anime, which is I guess a definition of crush. There isn’t any anime character than I can think of that is distinctively better than every other character. I guess choosing any of my favorite characters listed on my MAL profile would fit. (Feel free to add me on MAL as well.)
5. Are you a college student? If so what Major. If you are not, just say no.
I’m unfortunately way too indecisive for college to be a good idea for me.
6. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spare time? like time I’m not spending consuming anime-related media? Blogging, learning Japanese and occasionally playing online games with friends.
7. What VN, LN, or manga should get an anime?
Tsukihime, and any other unadapted Type-Moon stuff.
Otherwise there’s plenty of shows that could do with sequels:
- Medaka Box – I really want to see the minus arc animated at least.
- Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon – as well as Owari no Chronicle
- Toaru Majutsu no Index
- Sword Art Online – Alicization (volumes 9+) is acutally pretty good
- Tokyo Ravens
- <insert other light novel trash I enjoyed here>
- Queen’s Blade – lol. (I actually really want to know what happens next in Rebellion)
I also wouldn’t mind a remake of Air Gear
8. What is your favorite archetype and who does the best version of it?
I assume you are specifically referring to the type of dere. I had to look up what types there are and here are the examples from the first result on google: tsundere, yandere, deredere, kuudere, kamidere, himedere, dandere, coodere, undere, and mayadere.
Well most of the time when a character is written to be as close to a character archetype as possible it doesn’t work out that well, but I can think of characters from all of the archetypes listed that I like. I think in general I tend to like kuudere or dandere characters, and I don’t mind characters with tsundere or yandere tendencies.
But I think I’ll put my answer as mayadere. I’d never actually heard of this archetype before today, but I usually like this sort of character. vndb has ‘Mayadere Heroine’ as a tag for Tsukihime, I assume it’s referring to Arcueid so I’ll use her as my example.
9. What do in your spare time, when you are not blogging?
10. What do you look forward to most this year?
Catching up on my Visual Novel backlog.
11. What is your definition of Moe? (I really couldn’t think of an 11th one)
Haven’t really thought too much about it to be honest, I don’t even know what people mean when they call something a ‘Moe show’ anymore. I guess it’s similar to slice-of-life where it is a tag that gets stuck onto anything which isn’t action orientated.
As for my definition: I think of it as something that appeals differently to each individual person, mainly just what they find ‘cute’ in a show, whether it be a cute character design, nice character animation or voice quirks, or even a part of a characters personality they find appealing.
11 random facts about myself:
1. I live in Australia, but I was originally born in New Zealand.
2. I’m no longer religious, but I was brought up as a christian. I still maintain some values and lifestyle choices from back then.
3. My best skill is procrastination. (or maybe my only skill)
4. Finding facts about myself to share with others is actually really hard.
5. Dropped out of highschool because of burnout (among other things) from not being able to balance school and my part-time job. Quit my job at the same time.
6. Started a tafe course but dropped out of that as well.
7. Haven’t had a job since then.
8. Frequently worry that when I do get a job I’ll start to appreciate anime less, to the point of not enjoying it anymore or not having time for it.
9. Like I said earlier, my ideal career would be translation from Japanese into English. Specifically translating visual novels.
10. I am very shy in person, warming up to people can take a while.
11. Never get tired of recommendations for anime, visual novels, manga and light novels. (Although it often takes me a long time to get round to them because of how big my backlog is.)
Now for the Official Rules of the Liebster Award:
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!).
Now I have to nominate people for the award. I hope you guys don’t mind being nominated for this, if you don’t feel like doing it feel free to ignore it. If you’ve already been nominated you can ignore my questions if you want (or you could answer both sets of questions). You can also edit my questions or think up your own if you don’t like mine.
Here are the people I’m nominating:
I originally nominated five people and they all finished their posts. I’ve edited the links so they go directly to their answers.
As for nominating more people for this second time round, I think I’ll pass. However, if anybody hasn’t done one of these, (or just wants to do it again), feel free to nominate yourself to use my questions for your own Liebster Award. It’s a fun experience, and you will most likely get new followers.
Questions I am providing for my nominees:
1. Do you have any hobbies which aren’t related to anime?
2. What is your favourite scene or moment in anime?
3. Do you wish you did anything differently when you were younger?
4. Is there any anime which most people you know thought was bad, but you really enjoyed?
5. Are there any anime characters you admire, while not being able to agree with their values or choices?
6. What underrated anime or manga series do you think needs to be exposed to more people?
7. If you were able to live in an anime or manga universe, would you? and which one?
8. What is your favourite visual novel? (if you haven’t played any pick an anime which was adapted from a visual novel)
9. What are you most looking forward to during 2015?
10. Would you consider yourself more a S or M?
11. What anime series would you prefer to have a new season announced?
This is the end of the post. Thank you once again to thelimitlessimagination for nominating me. Please check out her blog as well as the blogs from the people I nominated. I had fun writing this and I hope everyone else does too.
Thank you also to Joe for nominating me, I had a lot of fun revisiting this post and I hope people enjoy reading it too.